Two
figures stand in front of an open landscape. Mrs. Andrews is bored,
bored, bored - she has been sitting on that ridiculous bench for the
entire (yes, entire) afternoon! It was getting cold and the blue dress
she was wearing is useless against the merciless Northern wind. She
continues to stare in direction of the painter, but with the corner of
her mouth she asks her husband:
"When will it be finished?" It took a while for Mr. Andrews to reply, as it was his habit after all to think his words through before actually uttering them.
"When will it be finished?" It took a while for Mr. Andrews to reply, as it was his habit after all to think his words through before actually uttering them.
"Just a bit longer,
dear" Mrs. Andrew's impatience surfaced. Still staring at the painter,
she moved the corners of her lips to complain:
"How much longer do you think I will be sitting here? I, we have missed tea with the Smiths today! Because of a portrait" Mr. Andrews assuaged her:
"Please, darling, show some respect. Mr. Gainsborough is a much appreciated painter, I do believe the result will be worth the undoubtedly never-ending wait." Mrs. Andrews pucked her lips both in triumph and irritation, but still sat there beneath the Romantic English skies for another long while.
"How much longer do you think I will be sitting here? I, we have missed tea with the Smiths today! Because of a portrait" Mr. Andrews assuaged her:
"Please, darling, show some respect. Mr. Gainsborough is a much appreciated painter, I do believe the result will be worth the undoubtedly never-ending wait." Mrs. Andrews pucked her lips both in triumph and irritation, but still sat there beneath the Romantic English skies for another long while.
And her husband was right; the painting was worth all the hours spent posing in the glum October weather. Today their prudish faces and Mrs. Andrew's pucked-up lips are admired by visitors who come to see Gainsborough's masterpiece at the National Gallery in London... Perhaps she would have smiled at least a little bit if she knew this simple fact.

No comments:
Post a Comment