Thursday, 24 July 2014

Breaking the Silence

It was a Tuesday night and like werewolves change form with the full moon, so does humanity after midnight. This was a time when the most dramatic of events happen. While children are tucked tight in bed, insomniac seniors read their books by their nightstand lamp and happy couples are committing acts of love in the comfort of the bed or elsewhere, the face of the city changes from the one of the day. Drunks queue at the 7/11 for a bottle that they claim to be their “last”, students tipsily stumble out of bars and unhappy couples fight and sob in the streets.

Clare and David were one of these couples. Sitting in silence next to each other on the doorstep of a bakery that will open in just a few hours, they were waiting for their night time bus.
“How much longer till it arrives?”, asked Clare, breaking the ice of silence. David squared his shoulders and staring ahead of him, he abruptly shot up his wrist with the watch. It hit Clare in the face.
“Ow!” she cried. “What was that for?”
“I dunno,” said David passively. “Maybe for asking my sister what pregnancy feels like for the 100th time and causing us to be 1 minute late for the bus. And now we have to wait here for 30 minutes.” Clare lifted her eyebrows and sarcastically responded:
“I could’ve made it 2 minutes!” David looked away. After a while, Clare said: “Why does it suddenly annoy you so that I am closer with Sarah? Just a little while back you complained about us barely speaking and now it’s bad again that we are open with each other.” David squared his shoulders.
“I…”
“You what?” Clare nudged him.
“I… it just worries me a little when you two are close. You’re like besties now. You have to be talking what Peter and I are like in bed.” Clare laughed.
“Honestly, is this what this all is about? You thinking I won’t describe you as a beast in bed?” David was silent for a while, then smiled, realizing the absurdity of the situation.
“A ‘beast’ is a bit too much. Alpha male, superman or champion would be better.” Clare hugged his arm and kissed him on the cheek.
“Oh you!” David slipped away.
“Why? I mean, Peter doesn’t say anything about how things are going with Sarah, so it’s just not fair that you two discuss me. Not that I’d like to know, really…” he made a sour face. Clare smiled.
“Don’t worry – we only discuss pregnancy onwards.” David nodded contently.

***

It was David who then broke the silence:
“We should get a parrot.” Clare winced.
“A parrot?”  
“Yeah. Like one of those that live for 50-60 years and if it doesn’t die until then, that’s a sign we’re good parents and we can get a kid of our own.”
“Seriously?” Clare laughed. “My ovaries will be long retired by then!” David didn’t give up.
“Or let’s adopt a giant turtle at the zoo. Those live for 100 years – there’s one that’s already half-way dead so she could do.” Clare shook her head.
“You make no sense after midnight, David.” He looked away, sighing.
“I know. Where’s that bus?”

***
“Sorry about hitting your nose with my watch.”
“It’s alright, didn’t hurt too much.”
“I’ll try harder next time.”
“Don’t you dare.”

***

A bus arrived, but it wasn’t theirs. Clare frowned as she asked:
“Why are the lights inside the buses green at this hour?” David jumped in excitement.
“I know! To show sperm stains.” Clare play-punched his arm.
“You watch too much CSI.”

***

“Long story short Clare, maybe I don’t want a kid just yet.”
“I figured. You want a parrot or a turtle instead.”
“I was joking.”
“I figured. What do you want then, David?” she asked. He thought for a while.
“Time spent just with you. No bugger with buggers.”
“Aw.”
“And that bus.” And truly, finally their bus arrived and the couple jumped into it, turning green.

No comments:

Post a Comment